Yesterday was a fun festival of human atrocities that started with a long and pummelling visit to the Museum of Tolerance, a museum exploring the holocaust and all forms of intolerance, and ended with a viewing of The Constant Gardener (which is about pharmaceutical exploitation of Africans...whee!). It was one of those days that lowered my estimation of humans about 40%, and I just feel so disappointed in our entire species. Possibly one of the most depressing parts of the museum is that it required several passes through security checkpoints just to park and enter the building: a building dedicated to peace.

My dad finally went back to Albuquerque after losing us somewhere in the gas chamber area of the museum, so we didn't get to say goodbye properly, but our visit was very, very good. We also saw Good Night and Good Luck this weekend, which was so wonderfully sharp and succinct and so very Strathairnily good. I am so glad that Hollywood is trying to speak in complete sentences lately.

We're working very hard on some tour dates, and on putting together the live show. It is slow going. As soon as we have something concrete, you will know.

I just started reading a book called Without You that chronicles Anthony Rapp's time in the show Rent and his mother dying of cancer (YAY, another FUN FESTIVAL). This quote about grief just caught me by the throat:

You have to grive the loss of the person...and then you have to mourn the loss of who that person held you to be. Because that dies with them. Their vision of you no longer exists. And a whole world of who you are is gone. So you have to mourn that, too.

That's so exactly it, and probably the part of this that has been so impossible to verbalize.

Wow. That is really profound. I haven't lost somebody really close and important as an adult, so I haven't ever considered that aspect of losing someone. It makes total sense though.
Lisa | 02.27.06 - 10:08 pm | #

hope you'll make a stop in abq when you put together your tour.

in the vein of us being seperated at birth, i put 'without you' in my amazon shopping cart 2 or 3 days ago.
byronicwoman | Homepage | 02.28.06 - 9:55 am | #

We are trying very hard to get a gig in April in ABQ, and yes, we must be cut from the same cloth.
a | Homepage | 02.28.06 - 5:35 pm | #

I decided to go for it... well kinda. I am going to get my BFA in theatre and go to New York. I am being told that I will be in college for 5 years instead of 4 because I am also Majoring in Secondary Education (maybe), and 5 years is a lot of time to change my mind about going. But for now I have it made up in my mind that I am going.

I met Susan Egan, and she told me the same things as you. That if I have dreams then to go for it! So when I am giving my acceptant speech for my Tony I will be sure to thank Adriana Roze and Susan Egan!

PS. I busted out laughing when I read that you lost your dad in the gas chambers, and also Without You is at the top of my list, right after I get done reading Wicked: The Grimmerie.

Katie
Katie | 03.01.06 - 3:49 am | #

There seriously was a gas chamber. It's...not nice.

Katie, you rule. Check your email.
a | Homepage | 03.01.06 - 5:14 pm | #

I love your quote from Anthony. You have both always helped me in my journey. You are still in my eyes the person your mom knows you to be.
Love
Tash
natasha | 03.08.06 - 8:30 am | #

Forgive the crass nature of this post, but... The Museum of Tolerance is real? I thought it was from a South Park episode.
Mike M. | Homepage | 03.09.06 - 11:34 am | #