My boss watched the inauguration on her giant TV, so I got to see our looming Doom in super HDTV. Apparently the man plans to end all tyranny on Earth. He used the word "freedom" 27 times. What a yawnfest. Even his supporters looked spaced out. He barely spoke about the country he's actually ruling. I hear that there have been major protests, but you wouldn't really know it by reading internet news. CNN's main site looks totally happy and sunny. In fact,this apparently was more important to put on the front page.

I sat under a tree at lunch and was writing when a branch fell on my head. It was pretty.

Chocolate. Dark chocolate. Need it now. Gimme.

Ok. OK. That lady was traveling through NM on her way to AZ. So, you could say that sums up those who aren't native New Mexicans.

Try to keep things in perspective and remember we all feel that way when our guy doesn't get elected. Your songs are still getting produced, people are still hearing your music, babies are still being born, and we are all still living in the land of opulence. My friends in China, Albania, and Russia laugh at how much complain here. They keep reminding me I am at least free to complain as they constantly reminded that as much as we may dislike the way things are going here, we really don't know what tyranny is or what a hard life is. Also, I look at my son who is now 4 and I can promise you 4 years goes by very quickly - so start looking to 2008!
Cathy | 01.20.05 - 3:56 pm | #

i know, i revised that when i read the last sentence. you gotta admit, however, that it's pretty funny that it happened in Roswell.
a | Homepage | 01.20.05 - 4:09 pm | #

It's true 4 years go by quickly, but I fear the damage this man will do before his time is up won't be so easily repaired. We must also be careful not to compare ourselves to those more oppressed than we are. When I find male friends of mine reminding me that women in the US don't get stoned in the street (well I guess some do, but not that kind of stoned), I have to think, how bad are things that we say, "at least we're not getting stoned in the street." Right now we have limited rights to say what we like and live as we want. If we don't stay outraged and keep voicing what freedoms we want and expect as Americans, we'll end up settling for, "well at least we're not stoned in the street."

And people are dying every day in this war... so many more will die in the space of four years. We must stay vocal and never give up. I'm certain the Freedom this country was founded on is not the same Freedom that awful man talked about in his speech. I am thankful for what we
N. Drew | 01.20.05 - 5:18 pm | #

have, but, to paraphrase RFK (perhaps badly), In my heart I see the America the founders had in mind and I say, why not?
N. Drew | 01.20.05 - 5:22 pm | #

ook. and this is the only thing some people will EVER know of new mexico. ah, well... keeps the californians from moving in... errrr... no offense californians. seriously.
byronicwoman | Homepage | 01.20.05 - 7:24 pm | #

I agree. It scares me to death to see how many freedoms we are losing - many gone before we even know it. However, despondency isn't going to help any of us get this country back to what the Founding Father's dreamed of. Professor Alexander Tyler said "The average age of the world's greatest civilization has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through this sequence. From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependence; from dependence back into bondage." Well, we made it past 200 years, but where are we? Also, as much is it might be easy to blame Bush for where we are as a nation, we've been going down this hill for more than 4 years. I have a wise old friend that often reminds me "OK. You don't like where you're at. So, what are you going to do about it? And compl
Cathy | 01.20.05 - 8:35 pm | #

And complaining doesn't count." Ouch is what I usually say, but she is right. Whether we agree or disagree in our political views, we have the chance to do something over the next four years (only 2 before we elect our next Gov. here)
Cathy | 01.20.05 - 8:43 pm | #

Complaining counts. Don't ever forget that. It isn't just about votes being tallied. Clinton was elected to two terms. The Republicans used COMPLAINING at the grass roots level to get control of the House and then the Senate. Clinton was still re-elected. They used COMPLAINING to ruin his second term with the impeachment witch hunt, and it worked in spite of the fact that Newt Gingrich, the arcitect of the complaining strategy, was ousted as speaker and had his reputation ruined. All of that complaining mobilized the Republican base and gave us 4 years of Dubya. Never stop complaining. It worked for them.
Mike M. | Homepage | 01.21.05 - 2:43 pm | #

Ah, the key word though isn't complaining. It was the action that came after. Let's not forget that sometimes complaining becomes nothing more than a dripping, leaky faucet that sooner or later starts to be ignored. I tell my kids all the time to stop being a problem finder and start being a problem solver. I think that's what we need more than anything. We have to offer an alternative (and let's just get them out of there really doesn't count). When we talk to our legislatues we can't just say, I don't like this or that, we need to start going to them with options. Some of them keep following the status quo because they don't know what else to do. So, let's give them some options and start changing things one step at a time!
Cathy | 01.21.05 - 3:21 pm | #

Cathy,

I see what you're saying but... politicians on either side are not following tehe status quo because they "don't know what to do." They're following the status quo because they know where the money is coming from and they don't want to risk it. I agree with you, let's think of some solutions. But it starts by voicing some opposition. Republicans were smart about this... they embraced being in the minority, they saw the power in the rhetoric of the underdog and they used it. It's our turn now and it starts with the voice, the actions comes later.
Mike M. | Homepage | 01.21.05 - 8:05 pm | #

By the way, I'm not just trying to be contrary. You're right in the end. I just think you're not seeing the path to that end. What I'm really trying to say is... we kind of agree.
Mike M. | Homepage | 01.21.05 - 8:06 pm | #

Truthfully........I'd like to scrap both parties and start over. I think when you speak to people there is not only anger, dissatisfaction, disgust, despair on the part of the liberals, but the conservatives feel it just as much. We are polarized - at least that's what the press says. Well, I doubt we're any more polarized than the country was after the Cleveland/Harrison election. The Cleveland supporters came back fighting with a new plan and won. At this point, I'd like to see a THIRD party do that. Let's bring on a new plan. I'll confess, I wish Perot would have won simply because it would have really given both of the other parties a big wake up! Now that would have been exciting. So, maybe the thing to do is to really start promoting one of the 3rd parties - Greens, Constitutionalists, Libertarians. This country is really due for a third party take over. At least it would bring some excitement in this country - since there isn't anything good on TV!
Cathy | 01.22.05 - 8:33 am | #

This is life!!! Despite all the problems in the world, God is good! We are enjoying the ongoing cycle of new life here on the ranch. Four new babies have joined our place. Three heifers and one lonely little bull (I think they prefer it that way ). I love this constant reminder every spring - even if they keep me up sometimes with their mooing!!! So, if anyone has the winter blues, come join me for a cup of tea and calf watching. It is the best tonic for what ails you!!!
Cathy | 01.25.05 - 10:03 am | #

oh wow. did you....you know...help them birth?
a | Homepage | 01.25.05 - 11:33 am | #

...isn't it a bit early for spring babies?
a | Homepage | 01.25.05 - 11:33 am | #