Today is my sister's birthday, so Buon Compleanno to you, Tor.

Spent the weekend with Dad, who came to town for Thanksgiving. Trying not to fume that I'm at work today while they gallumph around Disneyland. Humph. Hubby and I brined a turkey for two days and it came out deleeshus, if not several hours late. My oven needs a kick in the pants. Thanksgiving consisted of several poor souls writhing in malnutrition on our carpet as we waited for that dang oven to work. We played what might possibly have been the most pathetic game of Taboo ever. Still, I think it came out alright. Everything was organical and yummy. I poured a glass for Mama and tried not to think of Omaha. I made our traditional fruit turkeys, which are very silly and involve pears, pineapple, apples, cherries, and a whole lot of tooth picks.

We went to see Finding Neverland, and no one warned us that it was about losing Moms to illness. That's been happening quite a lot lately. "Let's rent this, it says it's a comedy!" ...and it ends up being about a man dying of cancer. Fun!

Much of weekend was spent recording vocals. My poor dad had to sit through 250 takes of "I keep turning in/I keep turning in/I keep turning in..." And still none of them are useable. Yay for me! On Sunday I was recording when I heard the distinct blare of trumpet in the headphones...some guy had hired a mariachi band to play outside his girlfriend's balcony. It was really very lovely, and the whole neighborhood started congregating outside until it became a bit of a block party. It was a grandly romantic gesture. I think anyone can agree, though, that ONE HOUR of mariachi music is a LOT of mariachi music. It's hard to look cute on a balcony for that long.

So Dad goes home tonight, and it's back to the grind.

THERE IS NOTHING SILLY ABOUT THE FRUIT TURKEYS. I am freezing mine. They are all powerful. I call mine "Fruturkey". When you hold them to your ear, you can hear the past. The past, I tells ya!!!
Shawn | Homepage | 11.29.04 - 5:52 pm | #

Damn, I missed out! But I got me a crafty little turkey buddy made out of nutshells with beans for eyes and a leafy little tail! I call him Lil'Gobbly and he sits on the tv. He watches over the holiday season.
Adriana- you guys made a turkey? Out of meat? Your holiday sounds great and terrible. The mariachi thing is way too much. Happy b-day to your sis!
tifanie | 11.29.04 - 10:20 pm | #

An EL MARIACHI band? There are bands that specialize entirely in music from Robert Rodriguez films? Is there enough original music in those films to FILL an hour? Isn't most of it just ominous rapid guitar strumming or noodling around, picking chromatically? I mean, I like Antonio Banderas as much as the next guy but seriously, if I were going to hire a movie tribute band as a romantic overture it would at least be a PRINCESS BRIDE band.
Don | Homepage | 11.30.04 - 9:13 am | #

yeah, we made a turkey out of meat. but we did a ritual blessing over it first to stave off our guilt. i knew my dad wasn't going to stand for no damn Tofurkey.
a | Homepage | 11.30.04 - 9:19 am | #

oh, Don. *slapping forehead*
a | Homepage | 11.30.04 - 9:20 am | #

I hear the turkey ROCKED! And if we had been there, Taboo would have, too. I LOVE Taboo. Ginger (from the shower) and I kick everyone's ass in that game when we play together.

We missed you muchly, really and truly.

And "It's hard to look cute on a balcony for that long" is one of the truest things I've ever heard. It just is. There's something really profound about the mating process in that. But it's pretty early in the day. Maybe my brain's just making that shit up.

P.S. Photos on the way!
Pammikins | 11.30.04 - 9:24 am | #

P.S. Hubby's at Disney World this week on company's bill, and I couldn't go with him. AGAIN. So I feel your pain.
Pammikins | 11.30.04 - 9:55 am | #

Yeah for fruit turkeys...we of course made them again...they were great with the rolls and olives. We missed you
Gabriella | 11.30.04 - 10:49 am | #

That. Turkey.

And those. Glazed. Sweet. Potatoes.)

*aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh*

I can fall into happy food coma again and again....

*snuggity!*
Mimi | 11.30.04 - 1:37 pm | #

it's true, the maple-glazed sweet potatoes were fantastic.

Gabi, can you believe i forgot the olives?? I did make homemade bread, though.

Pam, that sucks about Disney World. At least you can take comfort knowing they'd not let you ride anything.

We're going to have to have a Taboo fest sometime when we all have our wits about us. Mimi is really good at it, too. David is usually unstoppable when he's not sick. ...photos? of shower?
a | Homepage | 11.30.04 - 3:33 pm | #

Yeah, hubby called me this afternoon, just to make sure that I knew that the new ride he'd been bragging about--Mission Space--totally rocked.

I took much comfort in knowing that the g-forces alone would have had the staff calling for security to arrest me for my own good before they let me get anywhere near it.

Not.